Here is an example of my video conferencing set up at my office.
Below are some video conferencing best practices to help you look good on camera:
- We recommend using ZOOM.us – it’s easy to set up and works great.
- Sit close to the screen. You want your face to fill a good part of it.
- Put your monitor at eye level. Your face will not be distorted in this way and you’ll look better. Put it on a stack of books if needed.
- IF you have 2 monitors focus on the one with the camera. You don’t want to be looking somewhere else.
- Turn off your phone, email, message applications and everything that makes a noise. You don’t want to be distracted or distracting.
- Stay focused! Don’t check email, browse online or type. We can see what you are doing and we are watching.
- Look sharp! Be engaged and smile slightly. You don’t want to appear bored or preoccupied at all.
- Use an external microphone or headset whenever possible. The sound is really that much better.
- Mute yourself when you are not talking. That eliminates all background noise. Remember to unmute before talking!
- For heaven’s sake, don’t eat during the meeting.
- Don’t sit with a window behind you, so that you are in shadows. Make sure your face is well illuminated.
- Use a lamp to side light and illuminate your face.
- This is not an audio call. When you are on an audio call and muted you can do whatever you like. On a video call, you must be engaged and reasonably happy to be at the meeting. Nod your head, focus on your camera or on the screen.
- Talk in shorthand. Get to the main point quickly. Fill in details later – or when questions are asked. Be concise.
- Pay attention to your background: keep it simple, you don’t want a plant or wall hanging coming out of your head. You also don’t want a cluttered desk or confidential information showing.
- Be prepared! Have your talking points on screen in front of you.
- If something distracting does happen, handle it quickly and get right back into place.
SHINE, and be concise!
Download a printable copy here: PCZoomWhitePaper